The CCSID's don't have to match between the two systems, they just have to be "translatable". 65535 is not translatable. That's the definition of 65535 - "system, please leave this alone". Change the job CCSID to something resembling the CCSID your system actually works in. In the US, that's mostly CCSID 37, US English EBCDIC.

BTW, many on this list have reported that they changed their system CCSID from 65535 to something else in the middle of the day, without shutting anything down, and suffered no ill effects.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of carlo Lunghi
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 5:49 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: CCSID on V5R4 to be set when connecting to an external db2 luw

Dear Colleagues
I'm encountering troubles in connecting with interactive SQL on V5R4 to a
DB2 9.7 running on a linux box.
Such a db has been defined as an external db.
The problem arises probably caused by the different CCSID on the two
machines, fixed at 65535 (?) on system i and set UTF-8 - 1208 at the creation
time of the db on the external db server.
I would like to understand how to change CCSID on system i not as general
configuration change but just for the current db2 session only.
Could you please indicate to me any suggestion about the criteria I have to
follow ?
Please not that the CHGJOB command does not show the 1208 value in the
list of allowed CCSID.
Therefore it seems that my customer has a system configuration problem.
Any idea how to fix it ?

Thank you very much for the cooperation.
Best regards.
carlo lunghi