That would still work even of the field is MDY as long as he only wanted to get all the records with today's date and nothing before or after. Setll/reade on a key of 052013 or 05202013 or 20130520 would read the same set of records

And there is always the option to have an application create the DDS source on the fly and include only records that are "today", create the LF and then delete it.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Booth Martin
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2013 6:21 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: include current date in logical file

Where I was going with this would be to perhaps have a logical key based on OHORDT, but that would be problematic if he had a typical 6 or 8 digit date in a typical UDATE format and typical I-spec programs.

However, if the dates are ordered YYMD then he could use a setll and reade to at least get him where he wants to be fairly easily.