Source for AFP objects is really a stream file, but has been traditionally stored in data files on IBMi as there were no stream files at all when AFP first met AS400. So, you CAN store AFP source (including *OVL source) in a source file member. Copy it carefully, though so record lengths match. It is ugly source and you won't be able to edit it with SEU. You'll have to copy it back to a PFM for CRTOVL. CRTOVL doesn't care what the record length is, so change the file to LVLCHK(*NO). I copied one to a source file and back to a physical file and CRTOVL worked; I don't have a way to see if the overlay actually looks the same. I used a 120 byte record for the physical file and 132 for the source file so the entire record fits in the source record area. *CVTSRC doesn't seem to affect anything.

I don't know Aldon LMi. Can you manage stream files with Aldon? Might be better to copy the *OVL source to a stream file and manage it that way.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Stone, Joel
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 9:12 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: AFP promotion using Aldon LMi

Aldon's response is that LMi is not capable of promoting source for AFP overlays.

Surely someone must have a workaround as this is one of the popular s/w lifecycle managers on the iseries and AFP is also popular.

Any suggestions on how to promote *OVL source with the *OVL object using Aldon LMi?

The problem seems to be that IBM stores the source in a data file instead of a source file like RPG and CL.

Thanks