Actually the problem is usually two-fold beyond the fact that the IBM i SMTP and POP services are woefully dated :-)

1.) Getting messages into an inbox. Whether on IBM i, Exchange or whatever. The messages get stored as RAW MIME files ready to be processed by an email client or retrieval service.

2.) Then you need to retrieve the messages from a mailbox using the POP3 protocol and parse the RAW MIME messages into text and attachments. This is the step that causes most of the complexity.

I should know since I wrote our POP/400 component that both Vern and I are referring to :-)

In any case I don't believe there are any other native POP3 clients that I'm aware of for IBM i that can process inbound emails and strip attachments for further processing and then actually process them with RPG or CL exits quickly and painlessly.

If you're in need of this type of processing, feel free to request a 30-day demo from our web site.

Hopefully that clarifies the complexity Vern was trying to describe as well.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems Inc.
Where Information Meets Innovation
Document Management, Workflow, Report Delivery, Forms and Business Intelligence
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
Tel: (952) 736-5800
Fax: (952) 736-5801
Toll Free: (888) RJSSOFT
------------------------------

message: 3
date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 17:20:52 +0200
from: Tim Bronski <tim.bronski@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: i5 text message solution

Maybe the problem was in trying to "send" emails to the pop server! The
pop server just reads mailboxes on behalf on clients that connect to it.
It doesn't do any message storage. The SMTP server has a component that
will "mailbox" received email. To receive email onto the i you'd have to
fire up the smtp server as well as the pop server. Sorry if that
re-iterates what you already know.