RE: how to sort a file in place?

fixed

Dan,

I get what you are saying with single level storage and all. And how the
table may be splattered across several disks anyway. I also understand
that DSPPFM is just an abstraction, after all, date fields don't really
take up that much space.
However, even knowing all that, I still think that IBM put KEYFILE in
there for a reason other than to make DSPPFM look good.