They already tried this...

Up though v5r4, WDSC was included with the compilers...

Charles
On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 3:10 PM, John Yeung <gallium.arsenide@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

No need to be snide or absurd. No one is suggesting IBM or anyone
else should become a nonprofit. Bundling RDp would be a great way to
encourage people to use ILE features and other more up-to-date
practices (or so I imagine; I've never used RDp, but what I can say is
that SEU/PDM doesn't feel like a great fit for "modern" programming)
and make the platform seem less stodgy and old-fashioned, as well as
more productive. Folks who are going to doggedly stick to SEU no
matter what wouldn't purchase RDp anyway.

Now, it's entirely possible that IBM has already considered this, but
is projecting that the good will and better competitiveness versus
other platforms isn't worth losing the RDp revenue. Fine. They could
still factor it into the price of the system (or the compilers, if
they're sold separately). In other words, make "purchase" of RDp
mandatory for new systems.