This is now a moot point, since I've dealt with the bind failure in question, but:

Earlier, I was having a bind failure, on a customer box, from not having the appropriate binding directory listed in an H-spec or in the CRTBNDRPG parameters.

The weird part was this joblog message:

Message . . . . : *SRVPGM object QNNINLDS in library QNOTES not found.

There's no such service program anywhere on the box, and the program doesn't even attempt to call anything from a service program of that name. Neither did it (at the time, until I added a reference to the one it actually needed) explicitly reference any binding directory whatsoever.

Just now, I looked it up in a spooled joblog, and found the second-level text:

Cause . . . . . : *SRVPGM object QNNINLDS in library QNOTES was specified in binding directory QUSAPIBD in library *LIBL, but was not found for binding. Recovery . . . : Contact your application provider or service representative.

What's this QUSAPIBD binding directory, that it would (evidently) get implicitly invoked, leading to an attempt to link to a service program that doesn't exist?