As a followup to my post looking for file editors that can handle > 2 gig stream files:

The best performance (speed, and not hanging) was 010 Editor
(zero one zero)
not free, but 30day trial, and light years ahead of the others.

VI or VIM also worked, but not as many features & slower

Also, for checking well formed-ness in a xml file (over 2 gig)
a Python script posted on a web board (lost the link but this is the script

import xml.parsers.expat,sys
from glob import glob
import os

def parsefile(file):
parser = xml.parsers.expat.ParserCreate()
parser.ParseFile(open(file, "r"))

filename = "T:/edi/xml/ABC_2011_Bills.txt"

print "%s is well-formed" % filename
except Exception, e:
startSpot = str(e).rfind("line ") +5
endSpot = str(e).rfind(",")
lineNumber = str(e)[startSpot:endSpot]
print(str(lineNumber) + ' ' + filename)

(we did put Python 2.7 on a fast pc, and moved the large file to the pc - reading between pc & i was very slow...

Thanks to all that posted.

Jim Franz