Agreed. Build it into your application for up front checking but enforce in your DB. I also don't like data being transferred into my production database directly. I prefer to setup an import library with the files process to put data into production. This allows you to validate the data, report on it, and do whatever processing is necessary before it is committed to your database. I personally would never allow iSeries File transfer, FTP, or any other bulk file inserts directly to my database. (This also allows you to expand and change your database without having to have the third parties make the same changes.)