Update non latin character data from excel

fixed

Struggling a bit with the following problem:

I have received an excel file with a request to update product naming for a large number of products. The problem is that the text is in Czech language.

I have tried numerous ways to get the excel data over to the "I" - none completely successful:

· Tab-separated file means text data is in ascii which automatically leads to loss of all special characters

· Conversion of spreadsheet data (saving as) to Unicode leads to loss of where fields begin and end

· I tried creating a file with fields representing each of the columns in the excel and where the text fields are in CCSID-1200 (UTF-16).

o I created one record in the file, did a file transfer with a "ftf" file which created an excel on the PC

o Copied all data from the original excel to the new one

o Performed a file transfer from new excel to "host"
The last attempt was the best of the bunch BUT some records had the text data completely corrupted whereas others had all the right special characters.

Any good ideas and suggestions?

Med vänlig hälsning / Best regards

Åke H Olsson
Box 433 SE 551 16 Jönköping Sweden visit: Brunnsgatan 11
phone: +46 (0)36 342976 mobile: +46 (0)705 482976 fax: +46 (0)36 34 29 29
ake.olsson@xxxxxx<mailto:ake.olsson@xxxxxx> www.pdb.se