data queues and null indicators

fixed

I've been using data queues to funnel data into several programs. I am
using the typical method (I suppose) of using data structures to define the
data values in the data queue entries. This particular data structure is
externally defined.

Now I have need to be able to determine if individual field values in the
data queue entry are null. That is, the data placed there by the
originating program(s) is properly setting the field's null value using the
%nullind function.

The externally defined data structure has the fields defined as null
capable, but I'm thinking that passing the null settings for each field is
beyond the capability of data queues, no matter how you define the data
contained in them.

Has anyone else been in this situation? Short of adding an array of flags
to the end of the data structure to contain the null indicators for each
field, anybody got any ideas?

TIA,

Thomas Garvey