SQL0420 - Character in CAST argument not valid on Data Transfer From iSeries Excel plugin

fixed

We have a user that ran a query (via WRKQRY) to a file in order to download
the file. She then proceeded to go through the steps she has done many,
many times before to bring it into Excel using the Data Transfer plugin in
Excel. Everything looks good as she goes through the wizard, our exit point
software[1] logged the transaction with basically a "select * from file as
fetch only" however on the final step she gets the following error:

CWBDB0099 - No more data is available for the stream fetch request

SQL0420 - Character in CAST argument not valid.

We tried in the "regular" file transfer tool to a file and we got the same
error. Then we switched to display the data and it worked. We switched it
back to file and it worked then. :-/

We are on 6.1 and haven't installed any CUME in a while so there should't
be any OS changes recently. Our user is on 5.4 of Client Access and on
another developer's machine she is on 6.1. Both with the same problem.

To add to the "weirdness", I am getting the same error doing an INSERT into
a completely different file. I assumed it was a bug in my program with
translating data from one type to another, but now I am starting to wonder
if it may be something else.

Has anyone come across this?

--
Mike Wills
http://mikewills.me

1. Our exit program security software is PowerTech Network Security. The
developer has full access, the user has limited access but is allowed
access to that file.