Hello Rob,

I find it strange that your home directory is /FTP. A Home directory is intended to be your own little "work space", i.e. an IFS directory that's unique to your user profile. Most shops choose to use /home/your-userid for that.

That's not related to your question -- I just wanted to pass it along as an observation. If you put a .profile (or .ssh, etc) in the /ftp directory, and /ftp is not unique to your user profile, then it'll affect other users...

Anyway, the .profile file is read by the Unix shell that's invoked. Some shells use .profile, and some do not -- but I believe all of the ones that IBM includes with the OS use it, so unless you've installed a different shell, the .profile file should be read when the shell is invoked. It should matter whether you use Putty vs. any other terminal program.

You also ask where to find the file. Files beginning with a dot are "hidden" files in Unix, so typically they won't show up in a directory listing. As others have suggested, you can see it in WRKLNK if you use DSPOPT(*ALL). If you use the 'ls' command in QShell or PASE to list files, you can add the -a switch to see the hidden files.

The "echo" command you posted will create the .profile file if it doesn't exist.

Another way to set the PATH (instead of .profile) is to set the PATH environment variable. I personally have a PATH that's set system-wide for all of my users via ADDENVVAR LEVEL(*SYS). Then, I override that setting for myself by having an ADDENVVAR LEVEL(*JOB) in the INLPGM of my user profile. (I tend to do extra stuff that normal users do not.) Please be aware that Unix software is typically case-sensitive, so 'PATH' is not the same as 'path' or 'Path'.

You can use .profile instead of the LEVEL(*JOB), however. If you set it in both places, the .profile should take precedence.

-SK