Jim,
I have had reasonable success in getting programs to install and run by
doing a couple of things..
#1 Copy the Media to disk. Not an image, just copy the whole thing to a
directory of your choice.
#2 Right Click on the install program ( like setup.exe or whatever ) then
Properties and set the Compatibility Mode to a previous OS level.
#3 Finally I Right Click the install program and tell it Run as
Administrator.
#3a I have had to also to actually enable the Administrator Profile and
then log in as Administrator and then run the install programs.

#4 When all else fails and I really need a program I install a Virtual
Machine of XP. This can be done 2 ways.
A. You can download and install a copy from Microsoft directly. No
additional licensing required.
B. Use a virtual machine manager like VMPlayer and install a XP through it,
( this type of option requires you have a XP CD and License Key available).

I have had to do number 4 for a couple of programs that will not run in my
Win7 64bit OS. The MS solution will limit the XP to a Single Core while the
VMPlayer will let you assign multiple cores if available.

Hope this helps