On 26 May 2012 10:54, Darryl Freinkel wrote:
We have a file that is journaled. A user deleted the batch of
invoices before doing the update. Each batch is a member. The file is
journaled and I have tried to restore the records for that file from
the journal to a OUTFILE. I did a DSPJRN using the file name, journal
name and *ALL for the members.

The batch is stored in members with the batch name.

Problem:

I see the batch being created, type MA, but I do not see records
being added to the journal (type PT) at that time. The invoices
should easily be seen in the journal as it would be the only job
executing at 23:30 (11:30 pm).

A user was able to print the edit report the next morning, so I
assume the data was there and the report which we still have in the
OUTQ was printed using that member. Can anyone offer some insight as
to why the records would not be included in the journal?

An override to a different member would be one possibility. Also IME, what was specified on the DSPJRN CL request often can lead to a misinterpretation. That the D-MA was seen reduces the probability that would be the case [though more support for an override per ADDPFM being unaffected by an OVRDBF], because then explicitly looking for R-PT when R-PX could be expected would not be an issue, nor should the Journal Identifier (JID) associated with the file.mbr be an issue for the noted FILE() specification. However explicit specification of a receiver name or a to-date\time can give rise to accidental limits on the returned data; limiting entries to a file name would also preclude journal-specific activity, although other than a receiver deleted out-of-sequence [which should not happen], I can not think of anything for which that could represent the given scenario. FWiW when I have encountered an issue where the output seems suspect at first, I usually make a new request with just a from-date\time, a receiver range, and the specific job name [the first time; if still no luck, then without a job name], plus asking to include the receiver chain, and pore over all the entries [usu. output to display]:

dspjrn JRN(TheLib/TheJrn) JOB(TheNbr/TheJobUsr/TheJobName)
FROMTIME(05252012 230000) FILE(*ALLFILE) RCVRNG(*CURCHAIN)

Before the above, I might first issue a DSPLOG QHST MSGID(CPF1800) PERIOD((*AVAIL *BEGIN)) to ensure no system date\time changes as possible origin for unexpected output.

Regards, Chuck