On 22-Feb-2012 13:25 , CRPence wrote:
On 22-Feb-2012 13:01 , Jack Kingsley wrote:
Is this doable, I need to get some LTO1 objects from tape on 5.4
to a 7.1 machine. I am thinking I could DUPTAP it to the virtual
in the IFS, save the IFS portion and FTP it over and restore it
back out, then use RSTLIB against the virtual tape.

The documentation will almost always be discussing the reverse; i.e.
how to get the virtual media onto physical media. However the DUPTAP
operation should be effectively identical to "Saving data to virtual
tape media", for which the final step to perform the actual "save"
request(s) would be replaced with the step to perform the actual
"duplicate" request; e.g. as described in the documentation here:

_i Virtual tape media i_
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/rzaiu/rzaiuvirtualtape.htm

Oops... that was a 6.1 doc reference. See instead [or possibly reviewing in conjunction, the 6.1 doc], the v5r4 doc:

_i Virtual tape media i_
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/rzaiu/rzaiuvirtualtape.htm
"
Save to virtual tape

Perform the following steps to save data to virtual tape media.
7. Run a save command listing the virtual tape device in the DEV parameter.
"

Use DUPTAP instead of "a save command" in step 7.; i.e. instead of a SAVxxx command choosing the virtual tape as target for a save, the DUPTAP command chooses the virtual tape as target for a duplicate [copy] of the physical tape.

Note: I wrote "should"; i.e. I have never done that, and I am merely presuming that should be possible to accomplish, since the /tape/ feature would presumably be able to write\dump the same data to the virtual tape, regardless of data origin by either "save" or "duplicate".

Regards, Chuck