Thanks everyone for the help, I believe I "Got it"

John

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Vern Hamberg
Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2012 2:13 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Can a Command Validity Check program be an RPG ILE program

This is correct - a VCP is always called first, so you can send back an
optional diagnostic (model of the message ID is CPD0006) and the specific
escape message (CPF0002) for this use.

John, you are right, when you prompt a command and then press enter after
setting parameters, it will call the VCP and stay in the prompt - with the
CPF0002 showing at the bottom of the prompt. It may be you didn't sent the
right messages - has to be done just right - see chapter
9 of CL Programming for details.

To Phil - if you check stuff in the VCP, you would normally not put the same
checks in the CPP.

One thing I just learned - you don't want the VCP called when you are
programming in SEU or whatever - the way to prevent it is to use variables,
not literals, in the parameters. If you use literals, the VCP will test
those values and may fail - one case I ran into long ago was checking
existence of an object - guess what, it wasn't there - and the compile and
everything broke. Now I know how to prevent that.

HTH
Vern