When dealing with tape images they can get larger up to the size specified when the image is created. They will NEVER get smaller on Disk. INZTAP and SAVXXX CLEAR(*ALL) both reduce the size of the data but the disk allocation does not go down. If you want the disk size to go down you must delete the image and build a new one.

Now you might say "This is terrible IBM, Why don't I get my space back when I initialize or clear the volume?" But if you understand this behavior you can use it to your advantage. If the space remains allocated then you know it's available when you re-use the volume for a subsequent backup. If it were cleared then the disk space could be used up and not available during backup. If you DO want to get the space back then simply DLTIMGCLGE and ADDIMGCLGE instead of INZTAP.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis