On 23-Jan-2012 15:09 , Sam_L wrote:
How can we determine in a program the status of a remote printer
writer? Primarily we are interested in whether it is started or not.

The QSPRWTRI API does not seem to work on remote writers (but is
working for normal writers).

<<SNIP>>

Announcement materials for v5r1 suggest remote writers are supported for that API: "Programmatically monitor your remote writers: Customers need the ability to retrieve status of a remote writer. The retrieve writer information API QSPRWTRI has been enhanced to allow retrieval of remote writer information. This enables customers to write programs that can monitor and manage remote writers." The API even provides a "Type of writer" field that defines the "type of writer for which writer information is being returned."; i.e. the value '1' signifies a "Remote writer". The API documentation since that release does however make special notes, suggesting for several fields, that "This field is set to blanks for remote writers." The only _status_ fields from the format WTRI0100 which are affected by that limitation are the "Between copies status" and "Waiting for device status" fields.

If the difficulty is not for pre-v5r1, then perhaps a more thorough description of "does not seem to work" would allow someone to better assist with use of that particular API.

FWiW, per "common API programming errors"... Be sure to review the error code parameter results, or be sure to pass zeroed data to force escape messages.
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/apiref/pgmerr.htm

Regards, Chuck