Chuck Pence wrote on 01/18/2012 03:30:40 PM:

From: CRPence <CRPbottle@xxxxxxxxx>
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 01/18/2012 03:30 PM
Subject: Re: Spool file without a job

On 17-Jan-2012 13:17 , mgarrison@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Just wondering if anybody has experienced a similar issue to the
following? We are at V6.1 and using IASPs. I usually use RDP/WDSc
for compiling so I have not really noticed the problem. Recently
another developer was having issues after compiling from PDM and I
have since then experienced the same issue.

1) Compiled a program using PDM that has an error.
2) Went back into SEU for the program and then did F15=Browse/Copy
options.
3) On the Browse/Copy Options screen key a 2=Spool file in the
Selection prompt and press ENTER.
4) The message "File PGM0001 number 1077952576 no longer in the
system."
5) When a WRKSPLF is done it shows the compile spool file and the
job's joblog spool file.
6) When a WRKSBMJOB is executed the job is not displayed.
7) When a WRKUSRJOB is executed the job is not displayed.
8) When a WRKJOB is executed for the Job Name, User, and Job
Number shown on the spool files attributes is execute the message
"Job278868/GARRISON/MNITABS not found." is displayed and no spool files
are
displayed.
9) The system value QSPLFACN is set to *KEEP.
10) The job's job log shows that the job was submitted with
SPLFACN(*KEEP).
11) It appears to act like QSPLFACN is set to *DETACH but as I
listed in #9 it is *KEEP.
12) If you compile it again and create another compile spool file
without deleting the previous one then you can Browse the spool file
in SEU but the job will still not be listed in WRKJOB, WRKUSRJOB,
orWRKSBMJOB.

I did some Googling and have found explanations regarding SPLFACN
settings but nothing that describes this particular issue. Any
thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated as I know it is
causing some frustration with our development staff.

Beyond SPLFACN(*KEEP) from the CPI1125 in the spooled joblog, what
about the INLASPGRP() and is that different than the interactive job?

In my experience the PDM effects SPLFACN(*CURRENT) [or if by an
actual command string the SPLFACN is not coded and picks up the command
default] which means that the specification in the chosen *JOBD [in
F18=Change Defaults] is effectively ignored. Knowing what the PDM does
for the INLASPGRP parameter could also be of interest; though I believe
the same. Thus perhaps the problem originates per...

Note the help text for *KEEP on SPLFACN which implies the effect of
*DETACH irrespective of the *KEEP specification as a caveat:

*KEEP
When the job ends, as long as at least one spooled
file for the job exists in the system auxiliary
storage pool (ASP 1) or in a basic user ASP
(ASPs 2-32), the spooled files are kept with the
job and the status of the job is updated to indicate
that the job has completed. If all remaining spooled
files for the job are in independent ASPs (ASPs 33-255),
the spooled files will be detached from the job and the
job will be removed from the system.

Regards, Chuck

Chuck,

The help text you provided describes exactly what is happening and is
consistent with our switching to IASP's a few months ago. I was told by
someone a little higher up the food chain here that it is a known
by-product of migrating to IASP's and that there is not an alternative.
Apparently, it allows the spool files and output queues to be stored in
the IASP which will allow them to be available to whichever system has the
IASP attached.

I guess it makes some sense, however, it does seem strange that PDM was
never modified to handle this particular situation. I will be recommending
to our developers still using PDM to retrain themselves and do the
following from SEU which will allow them to find the proper spool file.

1) Compiled a program using PDM that has an error.
3) On the Browse/Copy Options screen key a 2=Spool file in the Selection
prompt and position the cursor to the Browse/copy spool file prompt and
press F4=Prompt.
4) Navigate to the appropriate spool file and key a 1 in the Opt prompt
column next to the spool file and press ENTER.
5) The Browse/Copy Options panel will be redisplayed with the selected
spool files information returned in the Browse/copy spool file prompts.
6) Press ENTER and the selected spool file will be displayed in the
bottom portion of the split screen in SEU of which then they may proceed
as normal.

Of course, since we have just provided them with new desktop systems with
I7 quad-core processors and RDP installed is for them to retrain
themselves to stop using SEU and switch to RDP/RSE.

Thanks for your help on this Chuck.

Regards,
Mike Garrison