My experience is it can be done but with a couple of things to be aware of:

You need to run the re-organize in two parts:

Part 1 (the while active bit) is run without an exclusive lock simply
moves the deleted records to the end of the table, it does not reclaim
any storage. Effectively it is finding deleted records in the table
and moving records from "somewhere" (presumably EOF) into those
records. End result is a tabel of the same size with all the deleted
records at the end.

Part 2. Run a second reorg, this time with an exclusive lock - the
deleted records at the end are simply truncated and the outage time is
reduced significantly.

The net result is that the reorg time requiring an outage is reduced
but you still need some kind of windows to get the reorg done.

Of course, you have to pay somewhere and doing it this way will
generate many, many journal entries presumably depending on how many
deleted records there are. You can easily blow storage space on
journal receivers or if you are a HA shop you can bring your network
and remote apply jobs to their knees.

I tried this at a JDE shop - the pain ended up not really being worth
it for the files where it really would have made a difference due to
the effect on the HA software (iCluster in this case)

Hope this helps - others may correct my observations or experience.