Or a message queue. Both queue types support a WAIT timeout which in some cases can almost directly replace a DLYJOB request, although with a monitor for the timeout added; plus ensuring a destructive read [e.g. RMV(*YES) on RCVMSG] which removes the "message" from whichever type of queue [*DTAQ or *MSGQ] being used.

However if the application can neither create nor clear the queue at startup and before any successive delay requests, then coding to the queuing timeout versus DLYJOB can become more complex in design [than may be desirable for a particular, perhaps utility, application]. For example a SNDPGMMSG to the message queue named by RCVMSG can easily implement a CONTINUE command for the application, but the message being sent just a microsecond after the "current" RCVMSG has already completed\timed-out could cause the "next" RCVMSG to experience no wait :-( since a\the message is already there to be received. So care must be taken to synchronize the application and the requester(s) of any continuance of that application over multiple coded delays.

Regards, Chuck