Do you mean this thing?

Honestly, I haven't played around with that option, so I don't know if it checks for the *SRVPGM existence when the *PGM is activated? But I know (from the docs) that when you specify *DEFER, the *SRVPGM isn't activated until it's used. So maybe it's not resolved until then, either?

At any rate, instead of using traditional ILE binding, you can always use APIs to resolve/activate/call the srvpgm manually. Then you can choose when you resolve/activate/call, since it's all done in your code.

I'm not recommending that, mind you. I'm just telling you that it's possible.