We didn't use the USB stick; there used to be a plug-in memory card option that did the same thing. The printer could then have 2 physical connections: Ethernet, and parallel (via a jet direct box).

Nowadays we use an i-o Corp. 5755e box. It emulates IPDS to the iSeries and translates it to whatever the HP (or other) printer needs. The model we use is a 3-port model. The iSeries talks to a port at the IP address of the box. The box translates and forwards the print job to the IP address of the printer.

Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx