Hi Rob,

(I can't believe I'm dumb enough to get embroiled in this conversation again)

On 9/29/2011 11:42 AM, rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
There are obvious differences between the generations. Even from the
normal users perspective.
- TCP/IP. Opened up opportunities like email upon certain actions,
consuming WSDL's etc. Hosting websites.
- Support for Domino. This sold these machines to LOTS of new
installations.

I think that was one of IBM's mistakes. They didn't make the name changes at the same time as these major updates.

When they switched from CISC to RISC, they kept the same name, AS/400, for another 5 years.

When they improved TCP/IP (they've always had it, but the old form was almost useless, so I say "improved") they kept the same name... for another 6 years.

When they changed the program models around, renaming the original model "OPM", and adding a new one called "ILE", they kept the same name, AS/400, for 7 years.

I don't know anything about Domino, no idea when support was added. But porting a new application to the system shouldn't constitute a name change, anyway.

The change to iSeries didn't occur when the system improved to a new generation, it occurred when the management at IBM decided to rename all of their servers at the same time. RS/6000->pSeries, AS/400->iSeries, Netfinity->xSeries, System/390->zSeries. Does this sound like a new generation change in the system's capabilities? No, this was (and will be perceived as) a name change. They even kept the same OS name (OS/400) for many years after the iSeries change.

Same thing with the change from iSeries to System i. The fantastic new architecture of POWER5 CPUs was released while the system was still called iSeries. About that time they changed the OS to i5/OS, which may seem like a generational change -- but the old generations could still run it! And the new generation was still called iSeries. About a year later, they renamed the hardware to System i5, but kept the OS the same... it doesn't *feel* like a generational change, because the name didn't change at the same time as the feature.

The name didn't change from System i5 to IBM i. (I hope you already know this -- I know a lot of people out there don't, however!) Instead, System i5 was discontinued, and a whole new line of hardware was created that could run our operating system (plus AIX or Linux) called Power Systems.

IBM i is the operating system, not the hardware. It's actually a "rename" (or generational change if you prefer) of OS/400 or i5/OS. This confuses the HECK out of people. Many people assume that when you say "i", it's just a short name for "iSeries" or "System i". They are very confused about what IBM i is... well, it's the operating system, formerly known as OS/400.

And, again, it's not a generational change -- at least, it wasn't marketed that way. Both iSeries and System i5 systems (in addition to Power Systems) can run IBM i. Furthermore, at the time they released it (with IBM i 6.1) IBM marketing told publishers to refer to i5/OS V5R4 under the new name "IBM i 5.4". That's obviously a name change, not a generational change! It's the same version of the same OS, you've just given it a new name.

Furthermore, IBM documents, including the primary documentation in the Information Center and web pages are all over the place. They call it everything from AS/400, OS/400, iSeries, i5/OS and IBM i. Frequently, they even use terms like AS/400 and iSeries to refer to the OS! It's all over the friggin' place.

All of this is psychological, of course. There's absolutely no doubt that this platform is a great one, and that it has evolved an INCREDIBLE amount. It *does* deserve a new name, and it *is* a different generation of machine. But the way it was presented (or "marketed") to us does not make us think of it that way.

I've been fighting for a VERY long time to get people to change the name they call it. IMHO, it's absolutely STUPID to keep calling it by the old names... it's absolutely moronic, and is borne more out of stubbornness than anything else.

But, frankly, when Trevor comes on here and attacks people for using the old name, even to the point of misleading them (ex: "Does IBM offer training for AS/400?" "Nope!") he is doing everyone a disservice.