Rob,

I'm afraid that I'm out of ideas regarding your problem. The IBM i Storage
Solutions 7.1 manual gives almost exactly the same recommendations as the
TechDoc I wrote you about. The only thing I have left to suggest is to
follow the following paragraph's instructions:

Save a small library to your physical tape drive with the USEOPTBLK
parameter set to *YES. Type DSPTAP DATA(*LABELS) in the command line, and
use the Block Length field to see the block size that was used.

Regards,

Luis Rodriguez