Joe wrote:

Generally speaking, what is the current wisdom about storing numeric
data in the database?

I was once advised by a systems analyst:
"the computer should work for the programmer just as the computer
works for the user"

My experience since that time confirms the admonition.

Another way I look at it is: programmer/maintenance efficency trumps
computer efficiency,
assuming user response time is good.

Bottom line: be kind to your eyes: presentation is an efficiency/accuracy
factor.

While I am at it, WHY does System i still present DSPFD (for example)
output with no "digit grouping" ?

Member List
Source Creation Last Change Deleted
Member Size Type Date Date Time Records
Records
RS0301 10336002048 01/12/04 08/27/11 00:11:35 72938329
0
Text: Monthly Sales Transaction File
Total number of members . . . . . . . . . : 1
Total number of members not available . . : 0
Total records . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 72938329
Total deleted records . . . . . . . . . . : 0
Total of member sizes . . . . . . . . . . : 10336002048