Albeit somewhat ugly, I have figured out a workaround.
To append data to an existing QNTC file without, as Bruce mentioned,
"toasting" it:

1) Copy the data from the the Windows system back into the IFS.

Since I know that the original file was created with CCSID(1208),
I will specify TOCCSID(1208) to get the IFS file tagged with the correct
CCSID value, and use DTAFMT(*BINARY) in order to NOT translate
the data, since it is already in Unicode.

CPY OBJ('/QNTC/WindowsServer/SharedFiles/my1208file.txt')
TODIR('/MYFOLDER')
SYMLNK(*NO)
FROMCCSID(*OBJ)
TOCCSID(1208)
DTAFMT(*BINARY)
SUBTREE(*NODIR)
REPLACE(*NO)
OWNER(*NEW)

2) Append the Unicode database file data to the IFS file:

CPYTOIMPF FROMFILE(MYLIB/MY1208PF)
TOSTMF('/MYFOLDER/my1208file.txt')
MBROPT(*ADD)
FROMCCSID(*FILE)
STMFCODPAG(*STMF)
RCDDLM(*CRLF)
DTAFMT(*DLM)
STRDLM(*NONE)
RMVBLANK(*NONE)
FLDDLM(X'05')
NULLIND(*NO)
DECPNT(*PERIOD)
DATFMT(*ISO)
TIMFMT(*ISO)

3) Delete the file from the Windows system:

DEL OBJLNK('/QNTC/WindowServer/SharedFiles/my1208file.txt')

4) Then copy the appended IFS file back to the Windows system:

Since I know that the Windows file should be tagged with CCSID(1252),
I specify TOCCSID(1252) to get it tagged with the correct CCSID value
and DTAFMT(*BINARY) in order to NOT translate the data, since it
is already in Unicode.

CPY OBJ('/MYFOLDER/my1208file.txt')
TODIR('/QNTC/WindowServer/SharedFiles')
SYMLNK(*NO)
FROMCCSID(*OBJ)
TOCCSID(1252)
DTAFMT(*BINARY)
SUBTREE(*NODIR)
REPLACE(*NO)
OWNER(*NEW)

- sjl

I wrote:
Just got off the phone with Rochester.

The problem has been handed off to whoever is responsible for CPYTOIMPF and
we don't have a definitive answer yet, but it appears highly likely that IBM
is going to indicate that CPYTOIMPF is "working as designed".

After analyzing the trace that I sent, Kent indicated that when I perform
the second CPYTOIMPF command to append data to an existing Windows file that
the system is translating the data to 1252 because that is the CCSID that
the Windows file is tagged with under QNTC, thus trashing the appended
data...

- sjl