Last time I worked on a PL/I program was on Data General equipment, and I've probably forgotten more than I knew. So what I'm going to suggest actually comes from a typical SQL parameter problem -- SQL assumes a constant used as a parameter, like the 2nd parm on your BlankCompress procedure,

'¬'

is character varying, not character. If that's true, then it's complaining about type mismatch on the 2nd parm.

--
*Peter Dow* /
Dow Software Services, Inc.