On Fri04-Apr-2011 11:02 , James Lampert wrote:
CRPence wrote:

SQL offers the separate LABEL ON statement to establish TEXT() and
COLHDG() versus any control within the CREATE statement being
used.

LABEL ON COLUMN FOO/BAZ
( . . .
, Highest_Credit IS 'Highest Credit'
, . . .
)

LABEL ON COLUMN FOO/BAZ
( . . .
, Highest_Credit TEXT IS 'Highest Credit ...'
, . . .
)

Hmm. Can this be done selectively? I have some fields that have lost
their column headings as a result of being processed through my
"DISPLAYVAL" UDF.

Yes the text\ColHdg changes can be applied selectively. Specify only those column names which are to be changed, on the LABEL ON statement. The expense of the statement is probably so close to identical for changing one versus many [e.g. ten vs fifty], there is likely little cost\harm in just explicitly naming all of the columns on each statement [for most typical VIEW or TABLE objects] along with some appropriate descriptive text, after any CREATE VIEW for which any one column might need [re]assignment of text and\or column heading.

I failed to mention in my prior response that the null string in the LABEL ON for column headings [i.e. Column_Name IS ''] effectively reverts the column heading to the column name. The column heading in the catalog [SYSCOLUMNS] is reflected as the database NULL value, and a report writer is likely to coalesce that NULL into the column\field name.

Regards, Chuck