Glad you're ok. Sounds like a marvelous job by you and the team.

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Wes Reinhold <WesR@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Some of you may have noticed in the news that eastern North Carolina was
hit by series of tornados last Sat. afternoon. Our town, Sanford NC,
looked like a war zone.   The building that houses our computer room was
totally demolished.  Fortunately the computer room was in a fortified,
secure area and had a raised floor.  By extraordinary effort, working
all night, the guys were able to literally dig out the Iseries and
network servers, set them up in a separate building and get them back on
line.  Our offices in the UK and South Africa did not experience any
loss of service.

Makes you recall all the discussions about disaster and disaster
recovery.  In the back of your mind you keep saying 'but this won't
happen to me.'
Be advised....it can.  Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of PaulMmn
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:06 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Cc: rob@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Near-fatal OOPS waiting to happen in PDM (or THANK GOD
forCONFIRMATION SCREENS!)

We have a menu application (EasyMenu-- it's ANCIENT!) that lets us
change menus on-the-fly; no recompiling.  We had a bunch of
accounting options available to finance folks at various locations.
Some of the options would run the month-end close and other
'innocent' options.

One user, who was authorized to those options, was an 'explorer--' he
tried every option to see what they did.  And us with no confirmation
screens!

We quickly added them behind most of our menu options.  All they do
is say "If you press the  ENTER  key you will 'close the month for
AP.'"  A second line, farther down, is active for programmers and
shows the command that will be executed.  The program accepts 2
parms:  the text telling what will happen, and the command to
execute.  Prevented some nasty re-occurances of exploration panic!

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
list

All products sold by Static Control Components, Inc. are intended for use in the remanufacturing of laser printer and/or inkjet cartridges.
This message contains confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.  Please notify Static Control Components immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. Any copyrighted material sent to you is for your own internal use only.  No portion of any copyrighted material may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior written permission from Static Control.  Users are not permitted to modify, distribute, publish, transmit or create derivative works of any material found contained herein for any public or commercial purpose. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. Static Control Components therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which ar!
 ise as a result of e-mail transmission.