From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of CRPence
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 5:55 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Key a logical file by date within a timestamp field

Given: create table qtemp/z (z timestamp)

The following LF DDS should make column L with data type DATE [L], become the key by the data type date for the timestamp data in column Z with data type TIMESTAMP [Z]:

<code>

R LOZR PFILE(QTEMP/Z)
TEXT('type L over Z')
L L I RENAME(Z)
K L

</code>

Another suggestion was to map [via DDS] the Z to A and then use SST to substring the 10-byte date portion, but that is not a supported mapping; searching InfoCenter on logical file dds mapping yielded the a table under subject "Describing logical file record formats" which shows that mapping to character is not a supported mapping via DDS LF [in v5r3 and still, by v6r1]:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/dbp/rbafodrflf.htm
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/topic/dbp/rbafodrflf.htm

Regards, Chuck