On a few occasions we have seen this happening in a batch subsystem (one of many sbs on machine):

A job starts using way to much resources and needs to be put out of its misery.
We try killing the job *immed.
It still stays on - forever - using up constantly around 30% of the CPU on A 570 box.
Trying to use endjobabn does not help.
The subsystem cannot be stopped.
The "undead" job cannot be held or changed in any other way.

One peculiar thing about these "undead" jobs is that they show no program stack despite the fact that they use both i/o (loads of open files) and CPU.

The only solution seems to be to IPL the system, which is highly impopular with the users.

The box is on V6R1. As for PTF level I do not know. I simply assume that the sysadmins do their job with regards to installing critical and cum ptf:s.

Any ideas? Does this ring a bell?

Med vänlig hälsning / Best regards

Åke H Olsson
Box 433 SE 551 16 Jönköping Sweden visit: Brunnsgatan 11
phone: +46 (0)36 342976 mobile: +46 (0)705 482976 fax: +46 (0)36 34 29 29
ake.olsson@xxxxxx<mailto:ake.olsson@xxxxxx> www.pdb.se

unauthorized and may be illegal.