Abreu Innovations, Inc.
jason.abreu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.abreuinnovations.com/

On 2/3/2011 2:41 PM, DeLong, Eric wrote:
Hmm,

Surely, the "Editing" of the data item is a function of the program that plans to "display" it to the user. For specific editing, you could implement a UDF to reformat the data into an edited view... What is it you are trying to do that you can't already implement in SQL?

-Eric DeLong

________________________________

From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of caura
Sent: Thu 2/3/2011 10:48 AM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: PF Compiled Files with Dictionaries vs. SQL-Created Tables

People create databases only for 1 reason:
To exploit those databases.

So first of all, the database should do what it's supposed to do.
Secondly performance comes in.

One major topic in exploiting databases, is editing the data into a usable
and userfriendly form.
We are waiting for over 20 years for any support of editing in SQL.
As far as I know, V7R1 or any SQL for DB2 up to V10 still does not support
editing in any possible way.

The simplest editing in SQL ends up in esotheric casting and substringing.
Sorry, but I have never understood this huge black hole in a "modern
product".

PS: DDS has never supported any editing on "character-data" either.

Luc