You can also use the Query Display Mode Support (QsnQryModSup) API to inspect the supported display size.

The Query Display Mode Support (QsnQryModSup) API determines if the current display device supports the given mode. Certain devices, like the 3486 and 3487, support 27x132 mode but can be switched by keystroke to turn off the wide capability. This will be reflected in the result returned by the QsnQryModSup API. Use this API to determine if a subsequent mode change request through the Clear Screen (QsnClrScr) API is valid. You can use the result of the Query 5250 (QsnQry5250) API to determine if the display is capable of supporting wide mode or not.

API Introduced: V2R3

It's pretty easy to use from CL or RPG
<CL>
CALLPRC PRC('QsnQryModSup') PARM(('4') (&SUPP) (*OMIT) (*OMIT))
if cond(&supp = '0') then(do) /* only 24x80 screen support */
</CL>

<RPG>
D QryModSup pr 10i 0 ExtProc('QsnQryModSup')
D DspMode 1 Const
D ModInd 1 Options(*omit)
D Handle 10i 0 Options(*omit)
D ErrorDS Options(*omit)
D like(ApiErrorDS)

D Support S 1
D Sup_int S 10i 0
/free
Sup_int = QryModSup( '4': Support: *Omit: *Omit );

</RPG>

Bryan