To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Bryce Martin
Date: 01/13/2011 11:14AM
Subject: Is the midrange really the right tool for the job here? WAS (Re: Hardware question)

*OFF TOPIC* so I made it a new topic....
But I have to ask... what could you possibly be doing on a midrange
machine in today's world that only needs 9GB of storage?  And does that
workload REALLY constitute the money spent on the system?  I mean, 9GB of
data today is nothing.  So why a whole midrange system when it seems it
will be highly underutilized?  Could you/your customer switch to a cheaper
solution for such a light work load?  I LOVE the platform, but its not
really ideal cost/value for tiny word loads.

Thanks
Bryce Martin
Programmer/Analyst I
570-546-4777

"Mark Murphy/STAR BASE Consulting Inc." <mmurphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
01/13/2011 10:08 AM
Please respond to

midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: Hardware question

It looks like I can put up to 3 disk drives in a 710 if I have a tape
drive.  If I had two mirrored disk drives, that should be sufficient since
I am trying to replace an old model 600 with only 9 Gb used.  Are there
going to be performance issues here?

Mark Murphy
STAR BASE Consulting, Inc.
mmurphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx