From: "Jonathon Creenaune" <jonathon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 1:32 AM
To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Paul Grycuk" <paul.grycuk@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Automatic deadlock detection

Does DB2 for iseries support deadlock detection? I can't get it to work. I'm
manually running the following sql commands in different transactions:

T1: set transaction isolation level RS;
T1: select * from aschema.atable where id = 1;

T2: set transaction isolation level RS;
T2: select * from aschema.atable where id = 1;

T1: update aschema.atable set acolumn = acolumn where id = 1; -- this
blocks, which is correct
T2: update aschema.atable set acolumn = acolumn where id = 1; -- this
blocks, which is correct

On DB2 LUW, after 10 seconds I get sql 911 reason 2, indicating that a
deadlock has been detected and one of the transactions has been rolled back.
The other one then proceeds.

On DB2 for iseries, after 30 seconds (the table's record lock wait time) I
get sql 913, indicating that the record lock wait time has been reached. No
deadlock is detected. I'm wondering if there's something I need to configure
to enable deadlock detection.

I'm running the tests on a v6r1 machine through jt400 6.1.

Any help is much appreciated,

Jonathon