From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of DrFranken
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 8:43 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: HMC Console necessary?

Well the obvious of course, you cannot do any changes to any partition.
You would need to change the system to OS managed for FSP Firmware and
designate one of the partition as a service partition BEFORE you do away
with the HMC. You will also need to convert the console to LAN console (most
likely anyway) or you won't have a console. You also will have NO way of
seeing SRC codes for a partition because when there is more than one they
don't show on the panel. Also if you ever PWRDWNSYS one of the partitions
the only way to get it back up is to PWRDWNSYS the other one and the system
itself and then restart the entire machine. This will only work if you have
both partition set to autostart. You could find yourself unable to do a
manual IPL and would NOT be able to ever restore the system from tape should
that be needed.

In short my opinion on removing the HMC is: Bad Idea.

Personally I would move in the new HMC and manage both systems with it.
You say it's 'Fragile' but don't say what that means. Is it old, is way
behind on fixes or versions? Has it been mistreated (i.e. overheated,
powered off abnormally multiple times, never backed up?) I have found the
HMC to be the best console ever. I also suspect the $10K Price is for both
an HMC AND a new flat panel with keyboard. The old one of those normally
works just fine with the new HMC and that will save you a bunch.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis.