So you guys are chaning the IP address on the Ethline of the machine? Then
when the router hits the wrong machine, it looks for the new route and
finds it and updates its routes?

Just trying to clarify what exactly happens.

Thanks
Bryce Martin
Programmer/Analyst I
570-546-4777

rob@xxxxxxxxx
09/17/2010 11:27 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
RE: Disaster Recovery

We too use dns. All the users go to "GDIHQ". No, we do not change the IP

address on all user's PCs. It's just that the physical GDIHQ stops using
that IP address and GDIHQ2 takes it over. Win/win - no changing of users
pc's. No involvement of network personnel. Tested (repeatedly), works.

Currently our boxes are in the same room (very long rollout I agree). When

we move offsite we have two choices. Play games with DNS or upgrade our
switches for $250K to allow the same IP address to be used in two cities.
Quarter of a million makes me gag but it may happen anyway since the other

switches are getting dated. Hey we just spent $17K to 20K on monitors in
all facilities so Big Brother can roll a continuous power point on why our

company is so good and stuff coming up.
The alternative is that we change the address in the DNS. It's as simple
as Start, Programs, Administrative tools, DNS and some flipping there. We

already do this for three SMTP servers when one is down. It's a "doing
maintenance on INTERNOTES (alias SMTP) and all the scanners route through
SMTP so change the address via dns on SMTP to the address used by SMTP2
(aka INTERNOTES02) and route all scanners through that". Instructions are

all typed up and we've been doing that for a few months when we perform
downtime so it may not be so hard when we have to do this for bigger iron.

Yes, the people performing downtime need to log on to the computer in the

machine room with authority to this. Yes we do give them a shared user id

and password during that duration. No the password hasn't been changed in

years. Yes, there's opportunity for improvement.