I was about to start a new thread, under the title:

"Let's be more general: how do I monitor QSYSOPR messages in general"?

But before I hit <send>, I got the brilliant idea to do a GOOGLE search on "monitor qsysopr message queue"

Before I even finished typing that in, GOOGLE suggested "monitor qsysopr messages," which suggested that I was on the right track, and sure enough, I ended up finding this blast from the past:

I think I may have my starting point.

And I'll add that I *have* had experience with boxes that had *non-redundant* dual power supplies: our 40s, our late, lamented 200, our 510, when it had a sidecar, and maybe also our "fat" 170. But with the exception of the 510 and its former sidecar, they were ALL designed so that one power supply would plug into the other, with only one plug going to the power source.

Oh, yes, and *almost everything else* here that is considered critical enough to put on the UPS is also on a failover switch, so that if the UPS crashes while line power is available, they keep going, even with only one AC power cord.

--
JHHL