I understand that. So it is better to give them "bad" data than an error?
IOW telling them the size is all 9's is better than getting a wtf
message?

Would the vendor really have a problem if they did a
select odobsz into :tooSmallSize...
versus some RPG F spec which relied upon the field size, position, etc not
changing? Vendor sees the Memo To Users which announces a field size
increase. So they change the size of tooSmallSize and it now supports
both the old and new. Where how would one version of their program give
them >accurate< data on an object size and still run pre ODBPUN and post
ODBPUN?

Let's talk about a phased upgrade. So you are starting on an old OS which
is pre ODBPUN. You know you run Verndor software. Which is easier:
- Vendor software which allows you to install before the OS upgrade and
will work on both the old and new os (and give you accurate information
for both)?
- Vendor software which insists you install it at the same time as the OS
upgrade?
Me, I prefer the overlap. Having to upgrade BPCS, Domino, EDI, etc all
the same weekend that I upgrade my OS would have me screaming into the
jungle.
For example, to upgrade from 6.1 to 7.1 of i I know that Domino should be
at 8.5.1. And Domino 8.5.1 will work on both 6.1 and 7.1. So I'll
upgrade my Domino to 8.5.1 and let the dust settle. Then I can upgrade my
OS to 7.1 when I am ready. Would I consider it acceptable to get the
timestamps on my email to all be 99:99:99 as a workaround by running 8.5
on 7.1? Heck no! (Not saying that this happens!) Why should I be
satisfied with object size being returned as all nines?

There are some applications we wrote into single row select into's for the
sole fact that it had to support two different versions of a vendor
supplied file at the same time. This was back when we had companies
running BPCS 2.1 and 405CD. Keep in mind that vendor has no qualms about
changing file layouts. Including, but not limited to, item number size on
the item master.