For this type of error, one would need source code, and perhaps the job log.
Also, please re-read the second half of your post. Something got messed up
within and it makes no sense.

There is nothing proven to be bizarre below. Looks like a pointer is not
re-initialized correctly but beyond that, gotta see that code.

Dennis Lovelady
"[All bees entering Kentucky] shall be accompanied by certificates of
health."
-- Kentucky state statute 252.130

meanwhile back at the ranch.... bizarre stuff below:

I'm testing this program that calls the QDBRTVFD api (retrieve
database file description) and updates a file with info retrieved from
the API.

It loops through reading records from an UF file - calls the API,
updates the record.

After the second read, second call to the API (which didn't error
out), the second update bombs with the following errors:

Pointer not set for location referenced.
Function check. MCH3601 unmonitored by QRNXIE at statement 0000000045,
instruction X'0000'.
Pointer not set for location referenced.
Pointer not set for location referenced.
Exception recursion detected.
Application error. *N unmonitored by *N at statement *N, instruction
X'4000'.
Application error. *N unmonitored by *N at statement *N, instruction
X'4000'.

secondary text on the MCH3601:
Message . . . . : Function check. MCH3601 unmonitored by QRNXIE at
statement
0000000045, instruction X'0000'.
Cause . . . . . : An escape exception message was sent to a program
which
did not monitor for that message. The full name of the program to
which the
unmonitored message was sent is QRNXIE QRNXMSG SetRepText. At the
time the
message was sent the program was stopped at higher level language
statement
number(s) 0000000045. If more than one statement number is shown, the
program was a bound program. Optimization does not allow a single
statement
number to be determined. If *N is shown as a value, it means the
actual
value was not available.

If I take the call to the API out, it

the only things I do in this program that are out of the ordinary:

I run a CHGLIBL command several times during this job
The file I'm updating is a DSPPGMREF *outfile that I've used SQL to
add fields to the end of.

Any ideas?