Hi Paul,

I'm sending the latest version of UNDEL2 (2.0.5 B) to your email
address, in case it's later than the one you have.

The blank and zero fields are caused by CPYF (which UNDEL2 uses under
the covers) using "row copy", in which it copies each record separately
and sets fields in deleted records to defaults. In other cases CPYF
uses "fast copy", in which data is copied in chunks, without examining
or changing deleted records (as explained by Chuck Pence :-)

The two cases I know of where "row copy" is used are when other jobs
hold locks on the member, or a case involving timestamp fields and
ALWNULL. Since you said it works OK on a duplicate of the file, locks
are probably causing the problem.

Helptext for the various parms of UNDEL2 gives some explanation of this.

It might be useful to use UNDEL2 directly, instead of WRKDBF, because
there are several new parms in the UNDEL2 command that may help the problem.

One possibility is to wait until there are no locks on the file, if
that's feasible.

Another option is to use the BAKFILE parm, if you have a backup of the
file which was saved with the desired records (active or deleted). That
gets the records from the backup file, which presumably won't have locks
on it (and undeletes the recs in the original file.)

A third option is to use the UNDEL2 COPY(*NO) parm. COPY(*YES), the
default, copies a subset of records to a file in QTEMP, which uses "row
copy". COPY(*NO) saves the whole file to a save file, avoiding the "row
copy" problem. But locks may interfere with the save -- COPY(*NO) is
useful mainly in the timestamp/ALWNULL case.

--Dave

Paul Jackson wrote:
Hello, I am hoping someone can help me as I have a problem that has me
baffled.

I have a physical file that contains deleted records, I need to undelete
the deleted records in order to find some evidence for a legal case. What
happens is that when I try and undelete in WRKDBF (option 8), all that is
showed is blanks and zeros for the fields. If I create a duplicate of the
file add some records, delete some and try and undelete, it works fine, so
it doesn't seem to be a problem with the file layout itself.

I have made sure that I have the latest version of the UNDEL2 utility and
the UNDELM program in WRKDBF.

The production file I need to undelete from has over 143 million records,
i'm wondering if that has something to do with why the deleted records won't
undelete.

Any help or suggestions in retrieving these records would be greatly
appreciated!

Thanks,
-Paul