)
select dept, name from t1
order by dept, name

Alan Shore
Programmer/Analyst, Direct Response
E:AShore@xxxxxxxx
P:(631) 200-5019
C:(631) 880-8640
"If you're going through Hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

"Dennis Lovelady"
<iseries@lovelady
.com> To
Sent by: "'Midrange Systems Technical
midrange-l-bounce Discussion'"
s@xxxxxxxxxxxx <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

06/16/2010 12:18 Subject
PM RE: SQL row processing order for
UDF

Please respond to
Midrange Systems
Technical
Discussion
<midrange-l@midra
nge.com>

Dang it, I'm back to square 1 on this.

This simple select:

with t1 as (
select dept, name
from names
group by dept, name
order by dept, name
)
select dept, name from t1

Produced these results at V5R3:

S&C TEMPLETON
EXEC DALY
IS KING
STAFF NESSON
OPER PINA
OPER GYAMFI
IS GOLBA

Is there really no way to tell SQL the order in which rows are to be
processed?

Dennis Lovelady
"I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw that my bath toys were a toaster
and a radio."
-- Joan Rivers

I used to think CASE tools were oh so cool. Then RPG actually started
getting improvements. And the CASE tool vendors thought maintenance
money
was reserved for paying off leveraged buy outs instead of product
improvements and they lagged behind, further and further, until they
fell
into disuse.

Now I suppose SEQUEL is going that same route.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
Dock 108
6928N 400E