On 31-May-2010 12:42, Kurt Anderson wrote:

When I was doing my performance tests, I was doing a CLRPOOL (of
a special pool in a subsystem created only to house file data in
memory) instead of SETOBJACC *PURGE. Is my understanding that a
CLRPOOL will essentially do a *PURGE of all files in that pool?

If any of the data [& access path] segments of the file which will be target of SETOBJACC as part of a test already reside in memory of pool-7, then clearing pool-6 would not assist to infer the efficacy of the SETOBJACC. The SETOBJACC *PURGE of the file data [and access path] must be performed explicitly, to ensure that the objects\data are not loaded into any memory.

When I ran a test to see if I had a performance difference, they
came out virtually identical. On a dedicated system as well.
Which was leading me to believe I was doing something wrong.
These tests ran about 8 minutes, close in seconds between
SETOBJACC and no SETOBJACC (using CLRPOOL to remove the files
from memory for the comparison test).

As noted above, CLRPOOL may be inappropriate for testing SETOBJACC. Also...

If the time spent is mostly in processing the data, then there may be little gain from moving the object to memory in advance of running the application. That is why learning the clock time, CPU time, and faulting reductions are valuable; to see if in-memory might be a futile strategy due to the /bottleneck/ being somewhere other than in access of the data. If in-memory is of little assist, and if the CPU utilization is low [percentage], then pushing up the CPU utilization by parallel access might be an approach to speed up processing; and with that, in-memory might be more important.

Was really hoping for some performance gains with this, my 8
minute test was with 200k records... our full run is 25 million.

IMO 8min for 200K rows seems probable to be something other than just a disk-to-memory issue. I suspect unnecessary data movement and other inefficiencies in the application are a more likely issue for impact to the performance; that although parallel processing could still improve the overall throughput, the original problem(s) would persist [until addressed\eliminated].

Regards, Chuck