Evan,

AFAIK, the EXCEL plug-in uses ODBC. That said, check out he code for
ODBCLOG, which you can find here:

http://www.rpgiv.org/ODBCLOG.htm

<http://www.rpgiv.org/ODBCLOG.htm>It can give you some ideas about how the
exit point is managed.

Regards,

Luis Rodriguez

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 7:17 PM, Evan Harris <auctionitis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi guys

I am talking to someone about exit point monitoring to further lock
down their box. The situation is they have a green screen application
that expects users to operate with elevated rights. At the same time
they recognise that there is a potential risk when those users are
using other tools (ODBC, FTP, Access, Excel, etc) to access the
database directly.

I understand that I can do things like make a users access read only
when the access is requested for example via an ODBC connection, but
my question is how granular the monitoring capability is. For example,
can I manage requests for the Excel plug-in and ODBC access separately
? What about the Excel Plug in vs OLE-DB ?

I guess I just want to understand how granular the access control can
be using the exit points and a security product.

Vendors, if appropriate, feel free to email me directly, with
information about the kind of access control your product provides, or
just point me at a page with the relevant detail.

--
Regards
Evan Harris