Thats true, if the file is embedded in other areas in its
current design, it may be more time consuming than appears...
I also have some "parse out" sqls as part of a few applications,
especially if the flat data periodically comes in sized differently,
at least I can simply mod the front end sql each time the data
shifts, and from that point on, my "home grown" dds file remains
constant for the application.

What Ive found is that once I prove I can manipulate the flat
data into real data, then the users tend to find more "uses" for
the data and I end up propagating my parsing code across even
more reports... fine for me, not so good for whoever has to
sub in for me if I am out of the office....LOL..

oh.. 1 last thought.... since you seem to be dealing with
"conditional" actions based on data values.. true field definitions
would lend themselves more readily to "case" stmt processing.

Good Luck with your parsing approach.
Aaron.

Alan Shore <AlanShore@xxxxxxxx> 5/7/2010 2:03 PM >>>
Thanks for your reply Aaron
At the moment I am using the article to "parse" out the data so that I can
build a view - mainly because now that I have this knowledge from the
article I am somewhat transfixed by this project and the file itself.
However, I do agree that the data held in this file DEFINITELY should be
redesigned. What I am doing should help me understand the scope of the
data.
What DOES bother me is that I may find something that is going to make me
start crying UNCLE
Knowing where this file is used, I also believe that it is going to take me
a LOT more than a couple of days in its redesign and implementation into
where it is presently used

Alan Shore
Programmer/Analyst, Direct Response
E:AShore@xxxxxxxx
P:(631) 200-5019
C:(631) 880-8640
"If you're going through Hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill