We've encountered a need to consume a web service, and I've been immersing myself in the net trying to work out what the best long term solution is.

I'm aware of 4 ways of approaching this. There may be more and I may have these groupings wrong. Forgive me.

1. Use the WDSC wizard.
I'm aware that the wizard creates the plumbing to connect an RPG program or service program procedure to a web service interface, but I'm always wary of wizards because they're always designed to show how easy a complex task is. They don't necessarily lead to a production and maintenance level degree of sophistication. I would be pleased if someone could re-assure me in this regard. That putting in the time to learn how to do this with WDSCi will result in a production environment solution, and not just a successful demo of how the wizard really works!

2. Buy a third-party interface such as RPG-XML. There are probably others. My employer is loathe to spend money on big ticket items. I'm also intrigued by Aaron Bartell's training course and will probably still buy it even though it's structured around the RPG-XML suite.

3. Use a free interface such as Scott Klement's HTTP API Open Source routines, or CGIDEV2. I've seen lots of references to CGIDEV2 for implementing web services, but have only used it for XML generation.

Scott Klement's open source offering only allows a web service to be consumed I believe.

This would do at a pinch, but I'm worried that putting in the time to use his development tools than leaves me stranded when it comes to providing a web service from our application

4. Spend lots of time learning how to use the iSeries APIs and asking lots of questions in this forum.

Has anyone else gone through this exercise, or has comment on the above?

Thanks.

Looking for a new home? With all the latest places, searching has never been easier.
http://clk.atdmt.com/NMN/go/157631292/direct/01/