Rob

I have a feeling that "replace" means that OmniFind does the same thing but better. Not that Text Extenders is not available. It was Kent's wording, and I've heard his presentation on it. OmniFind definitely gives you a lot more functionality.

Here is a presentation on both products, as well as WebQuery and Query for i - *http://tinyurl.com/yb84ech*

In Kent's article that Birgitta and I both mentioned, he says that you can search things not in tables, quoted here -

"As mentioned earlier, the OmniFind Text Search server also has the ability to index and search text data that is not stored in a DB2 for i table."

It takes a UDF and some other work but lets you work with files in the IFS like Open Office, Acrobat, and Word documents, not just html or text files. It takes a bit more planning and regular updating of search indexes but seems very cool.

Hey, it's a 6.1 thing - gotta go get it, man!!

HTH
Vern

rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Let me get this straight, in 6.1 this:
Resource ID Option Feature Description
5761DE1 *BASE 5050 DB2 Extenders 5761DE1 *BASE 2924 DB2 Extenders 5761DE1 1 5050 DB2 Text Extender 5761DE1 1 2924 DB2 Text Extender 5761DE1 2 5050 DB2 XML Extender 5761DE1 2 2924 DB2 XML Extender 5761DE1 3 5050 Text Search Engine
5761DE1 3 2924 Text Search Engine
(with other detail)
Resource Feature ID Option Feature Type Library Release
5761DE1 *BASE 5050 *CODE QDBEX V6R1M0
5761DE1 *BASE 2924 *LNG QDBEX V6R1M0
5761DE1 1 5050 *CODE QDB2TX V6R1M0
5761DE1 1 2924 *LNG QDB2TX V6R1M0
5761DE1 2 5050 *CODE QDBXM V6R1M0
5761DE1 2 2924 *LNG QDBXM V6R1M0
5761DE1 3 5050 *CODE QIMO V6R1M0
5761DE1 3 2924 *LNG QIMO V6R1M0

will be replaced by 5733-OMF? Seems odd that IBM would have refreshed this 5761DE1 to 6.1 if they were replacing it. And in infocenter there were no hits for "omni find" and the only hit for OMF was for some discussion on import libraries and Object Model Format. But, sometime I'll take a look at that link.