I spent this last week at the RSA Security Conference in San Francisco. The expo hall was Huge! 28 aisles each over 120 feet deep. There was every kind of security solution for every kind of security problem you ever heard of - and some that you haven't. IBM had a big booth right by the entrance, and they were showing off all kinds of IBM security assets - the ISS Strikeforce team, Tivoli EKM, LDAP, Security for IBM Z, and on and on.

But there wasn't one person in the booth who could talk about IBM i security. There was one nice gentleman who had worked on whole disk encryption and knew it had been ported to i, but no-one who could speak to what was happening on i now. No preview of the coming version of the OS, no one to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of i security, the closest conversation about i security was one guy who said "AS/400 (note old name usage) already has great security".

<sigh>

Trevor, could you remind me why I should be promoting an architecture that IBM won't even promote? (Sorry - that was a unfair jab - I'll take it back tomorrow)

jte

--
John Earl
President and CEO